Politics and Society are the two pillars upon which the efficient functioning of human life depends. The people covering the issues of politics and society and putting them in front of the public and the governing bodies are involved in socio- political journalism. The students of Media and Journalism can learn a lot from the works of Mr. Ravish Kumar about the approach and scope of this particular genre of journalism. Mr. Ravish Kumar is a popular TV anchor, writer and journalist. His topics cover issues of Indian polity and social architecture. He is also the senior executive editor of the popular Hindi news channel NDTV India. He hosts a number of popular programs in the channel which include Prime Time, Hum Log and Ravish ki report. The passion of Mr. Kumar towards writing and journalism is a matter of learning for all the students aspiring to make a mark in the world of social and political journalism. Mr. Kumar was born in East Champaran of Bihar. He studied from Loyola high school Patna and graduated from Deshbandhu college, Delhi. Finally he did his mass communication degree from the prestigious Indian Institute of Mass Communication. Journalism colleges in Kolkata focus on creating quality journalists like Mr. Ravish Kumar who care for the betterment for the society and the political environment surrounding it.
What approach of doing political and social journalism can be learnt from Mr. Ravish Kumar?
Social and political journalism require a deep understanding of the dynamics and challenges of the political and social architecture. It also requires patience to tackle issues and a humanitarian outlook to work for the deprived and keep a strong control over the affluent strata of the society. The student of Media and Journalism can learn several attributes from this great journalist like-
- Courage to question issues creating an impact in the socio political architecture
- Not getting biased by any kind of social and political obligation while reporting an event to the public
- The ability to develop sharp journalistic skills by creative writing on issues which require reform in the social and political framework
- Preparing an agenda to combat the vices of the society through interactive and analytical news reporting and debate programs
- Contributing to the field of journalism through active participation in societal and political which decide the fate of the country and its inhabitants
- Influencing the public about taking necessary steps to malpractices and challenges inherent in the society and governance system
- Practicing Journalism and Creative writing in Hindi language and creating an impact like the English language Journalism.
The books written by Mr. Ravish Kumar center on the social realities and are written in Hindi language. He has been also honored with all the prestigious prizes in the world of Indian Media and journalism. His contribution to the field of Mass communication is immense in terms of his concern towards the effective functioning of the social and political system.
BSc. colleges in Kolkata offering programs in Media and Journalism try to inculcate the principles of analyzing and reporting news/information to create icons like Mr. Ravish Kumar.
About Samrat:An editor for various publications and a faculty of Media Science at iLEAD, Samrat after a decade of dating and impressing the world of media can often be seen on Sundays at various Kolkata cafes with a guitar, diary and microphone. Literature, jazz music and thunderstorms helps him write poetry, reports and movie scripts which gets him compliments, published articles and awards from various countries at his doorstep when he least expects them. He has a fetish to emcee, teach and sometimes sing on stage and also completed courses in Photography and French (DELF A1) with distinction. Fitness, fashion, education and academics lures him although he can be a glutton for Bengali and Italian food, a talkative movie buff and financial philosopher during weekends.